COVID 19 Alert


Q: (Annual Re-exam) I am Section 8 Tenant and have an upcoming Annual Re-Examination?

HABC is currently closed to the public. HABC has set up a remote link for any Tenant coming up for their Annual Re-examination. Tenant can complete and submit the Annual re-examination and upload required documents. Current active Section 8 Tenants are also encouraged to register their online tenant user accounts.  Click here: HABC Tenant Portal

If Tenant absolutely has no access to internet or email, then they may request for a physical Annual Packet be mailed to their physical address by their assigned Housing Specialist. You can find you Housing Specialist contact information here: Assisted Housing Directory

Q: (HQS Inspections) My unit has an upcoming scheduled HQS Inspection, OR unit has already FAILED its Biennial/Annual Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection?

Concerning units already in a FAILED HQS Inspection; HUD has NOT exempted Section 8 units from HQS compliance nor has the authority to do so. Housing Quality Standards compliance is a statutory requirement. HABC’s contracted HQS Inspection Services (CGI) has restarted annual inspections. HABC may grant re-schedules or 30-day extensions if Landlord or Tenant need additional time to complete repairs, either due to ill household members or extenuating circumstances. Both Landlord & Tenant are encouraged to exercise good judgment and follow CDC Guidelines: Cleaning & Disinfecting.

Any inspection re-schedule or 30-day extension request should be immediately e-mailed to the Assisted Housing Specialist and

Given the new normal of COVID-19 concerns, CGI and HABC want to make all program participants aware of the proactive measures CGI’s Inspectors utilize for responsible and safe inspections. Inspectors will use PPE (personal protective equipment), and exercise CDC guidelines of social distancing. Additionally, we request that you wear a mask when an inspector comes to your unit and if possible, limit the number of household members present at the time of an inspection to 1 or 2 (Tenant/Owner or Owner representative). At a minimum, one adult 18 years or older needs to be present for inspection. If you have any questions or if any household member falls ill, please notify CGI immediately.

Q: (Interims-Loss of Income) I am a Section 8 Tenant per diem / hourly worker and my employer has laid me off, OR I am taking a Temporary Leave?

Household should immediately file for either Unemployment Benefits or Temporary Disability & Family Leave Insurance Benefits, and take a screenshot of the unemployment receipt application. E-mail your assigned Housing Specialist with the last day of employment, U/E screenshot application receipt, and any former employer notification on hand if available. If you do not know who your Housing Specialist, email with the required documents.

It is important, that when you do receive your U/E weekly benefit award statement to immediately e-mail your Housing Specialist within 10 days. Any delay or failure to do so will result in future repayment agreements or jeopardize future participation.

Q: (Leasing) I am a current Section 8 Tenant and I’m wanting to relocate?

Both Tenant and Landlord will need to complete and submit the HABC Move Notice form to their assigned Assisted Housing Specialist, and Tenant must be in good tenancy standing.

Q. (Portability) I want to Port my Section 8 housing voucher to HABC? I want to Port Out of Bergen County-HABC?

Any household requesting to Port Out of Bergen County HABC jurisdiction should first double check with the receiving Housing Authority if they are accommodating Port-in Requests. If so, then household should complete the HABC Move Notice & Portability Request forms.

All other Portability inquiries can be made to

Q: (Applications) I am an applicant on a Section 8 or Building Waiting List with HABC?

For all Waiting List Status Inquires & Updates and available Open Waiting List(s)

Q: If you are in danger of homelessness or homeless. Please contact and see if you’re eligible for any emergency services at:

Homeless hotline (NJ United Way)
211 or

Bergen County Board of Social Services

Homeless Prevention Hotline

Bergen County Housing Health and Human Services Center (Emergency Shelter)

Center For Hope and Safety hotline (domestic violence)

The following is to educate, protect and prepare our community during the coronavirus outbreak. 
All residents are asked to take personal responsibility for their health and the health of their family members through active monitoring of their health.  This should include twice daily temperature checks and the following preventative measures:

  • Frequent handwashing with soap for at least 20 seconds and use of hand sanitizers, with at least 60% alcohol, when soap is not available
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
  • Cough into a tissue and then throw the tissue away.  If tissues aren’t available, cough into your elbow
  • Stay home when you are sick
  • Contact your personal physician if you have concerns about your health
  • Use extra care to clean and disinfect surfaces, including door handles, cell phones and keyboards
  • Use household products specifically designed to disinfect