"Portability" in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or "port" their rental subsidy when they move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the public housing agency (PHA) that first gave them the voucher when they were selected for the program.

Please be advised the Housing Authority of Bergen County is currently ABSORBING for Portability.

We are only accepting paperwork received directly from your housing authority.

We cover all of Bergen County except for the following towns: Cliffside Park, Edgewater, Englewood, Fort Lee, and Lodi.  To transfer to these specific towns you must contact the respective housing authority.

Our payment standards, occupancy standards, utility allowances, and income limits can be found here: https://habcnj.org/hcv

Please be aware of the following time frames:

We will contact you to schedule your appointment for a moving brief within ten (10) business days from the time your paperwork is received. Once a unit is approved for affordability an inspection will be ordered. Inspections will be completed within 2 1/2 weeks from the time they are scheduled. Please note that lease time frames run 45-60 days. Therefore, portability requests will not be accepted with voucher terms less than 90 days remaining on the voucher from the time it is received.

Incoming Portability requests must be sent to:

Jocelyn Arenas
The Housing Authority of Bergen County
1 Bergen County Plaza 2nd Fl.
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Fax: 201-335-8707
Email: portability@habcnj.org

Current HABC Participants looking to Port Out  
Vouchers cannot be sent with less than 30 days remaining on the voucher without prior approval of a supervisor and the receiving PHA.   For more information regarding outgoing ports you can contact Jocelyn Arenas at portability@habcnj.org

HCV-Homeownership or Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS)

Any current active HCV incoming portable client wishing to lease  up in Bergen County, NJ and wanting to participate in either the HCV-Homeownership or Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) programs, you will need to request portability through the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (NJDCA) – Housing Division to PORT your Section 8 voucher(helpful links below): 

NJ DCA - https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dhcr/offices/section8hcv.html
HCV Homeownership - https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dhcr/offices/section8ho.html
FSS (Family Self-Sufficiency) - https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dhcr/offices/fss.html